Swallow Cliff is a landscape of hills, ravines, lakes, and marshes created by the retreat of the last glaciers to cover the area. Volunteers strive to restore the natural biodiversity that existed prior to settlement and the proliferation of non-native plants. Restoration activities include the removal of invasive species like honeysuckle and buckthorn, and the collection and distribution of seeds of desirable native plants.
Schedule Slots Available!
27 Sep 2020
Stewardship Volunteer Days
Meeting Place: Swallow Cliff Woods South lot, west side of LaGrange Road opposite 119th St.
Contact: Jackie Majdov
Available Positions: 12
Swallow Cliff Woods
Palos Park IL, 60464
Park at Swallow Cliff Woods South lot, on the west side of LaGrange Road opposite 119th Street in Palos Park.
Contact person for opportunity
Swallow Cliff Steward
Requirements & Documents
All individuals should consider their level of risk for the COVID-19 virus prior to engaging in any volunteer service.
Review the Forest Preserve''s COVID-19 page each day before volunteering for important updates and safety precautions.
DO NOT attempt to volunteer if in the last 14 days you:
1. have any of the symptoms related to COVID-19 as identified by the Centers for Disease Control
2. have traveled to any foreign country or states with a high incidence of COVID-19 infections
Staff and volunteer leaders will implement protocols to ensure physical distancing, glove and mask usage, and tool sanitizing.
Wear all essential personal protection equipment (PPE) including a face mask.
Always keep a minimum distance of six feet from other volunteers.
Plan accordingly, as many public restrooms are closed.
Bring your own gloves, snack, water bottle, sunscreen, bug spray, and hand sanitizer.
* Wear long sleeves, long slacks or jeans, and sturdy shoes.
* Natural fiber clothing (wool or cotton) works best, especially when burning brush piles.
* Multiple layers on cool days allow you to shed a layer as the day warms.
* We provide gloves and the necessary tools, as well as snacks.