In order to provide high quality and safe paddling experiences to event attendees, your help and expertise is needed! Spread your passion for watersport to a new audience at one of the Forest Preserves various events on weekends, weekdays, and evenings.
Unlimited Positions available!
Requirements & Documents
As an Paddle Guide Volunteer, you'll be helping with a mix of the following:
* Assisting on-land with outfitting event attendees in PFDs, passing out paddles, and giving a brief instruction on canoe basics and techniques
* Helping to push out and pull in canoes from the launch area
* Assisting on the water, paddling in a canoe or kayak, giving tips and advice to attendees while they are out paddling
* Helping with rescues should the situation arise
* Taking attendees on short paddle trips
* Completion of a course by the American Canoe Assoc., the American Red Cross or similar organization
* Own a canoe or kayak for personal use when at event
* Strong canoe/kayak skills
* Fit and able-bodied to handle walking distances while carrying boats, towing a boat with yours, lifting boats over your head, boating in adverse conditions, etc.
* Strong interpersonal skills to interact and engage positively with the public
* Ability to follow direction
* At least 5 years of prior canoe/kayak experience
* Ability to properly tie knots to hold canoes/kayaks or willing to learn
* Background check required