Cap Sauers is the largest nature preserve in northeastern Illinois. Its 1,520 acres feature rolling hills, running streams, and the Visitation esker, a rare type of glacial formation. Restoration activities include the removal of invasive species like honeysuckle and buckthorn, and the collection and distribution of seeds of desirable native plants. Main tools used are loppers and hand saws. Weather permitting, we may build and burn brush piles.
Schedule Slots Available!
27 Feb 2021
Stewardship Volunteer Days
Meeting Place: Old FP watchmen''s house on Ford St.
Contact: Margaret Tobin
Available Positions: 23
Cap Sauers Holdings
Lemont IL, 60464
Driveway of old FP watchman's house on Ford Rd.
Contact person for opportunity
Cap Sauers Steward Margaret Tobin
Requirements & Documents
All individuals should consider their level of risk for the COVID-19 virus prior to engaging in any volunteer service.
Review the Forest Preserve''s COVID-19 page each day before volunteering for important updates and safety precautions.
DO NOT attempt to volunteer if in the last 14 days you:
1. have any of the symptoms related to COVID-19 as identified by the Centers for Disease Control
2. have traveled to any foreign country or states with a high incidence of COVID-19 infections
Staff and volunteer leaders will implement protocols to ensure physical distancing, glove and mask usage, and tool sanitizing.
Wear all essential personal protection equipment (PPE) including a face mask.
Always keep a minimum distance of six feet from other volunteers.
Plan accordingly, as many public restrooms are closed.
Bring your own gloves, snack, water bottle, sunscreen, bug spray, and hand sanitizer.
* Wear long sleeves, long slacks or jeans, and sturdy shoes for walking over uneven terrain.
* Natural fiber clothing (wool or cotton) works best, especially when burning brush piles.
* Multiple layers on cool days allow you to shed a layer as the day warms.
* We provide gloves and the necessary tools,
*Please bring your own individual water bottle and consider bringing your own individual snack*